Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Victoria Day Ride

>
It's Victoria
Day, a national holiday in Canada, celebrating the Queen of England's birthday (Elizabeth II or possibly Victoria's birthday, not sure which).

I went on my longest ride today, 110 km. That doesn’t seem like much but I’m working my way up. And it wasn’t that painful as I visited 4 friends so that broke the trip up.

First, I stopped at my brother Paul’s new house in the country. He and his wife were busy planting a garden. Next, I went on to Mark McNabb’s house in Petrolia. He was editing the last movie we shot: “The Mystical Adventures of Billy Owens” on his new High Definition editing suite. Looks great.

Then it was on to Oil Springs to visit my old high school chum, Guy Lalonde, On the way there I stopped at a bridge over a creek and found an Eastern Phoebe, the first new bird for the day.







Then it was on to Doctor Greg Sherwin’s house on Lake Huron to polish off a bottle of Bordeaux region Merlot. While there, his daughter Jill visited, then came Simone, a lovely young woman who I almost killed in my sailboat 25 years ago (by sailing foolishly into a storm at midnight).



While we drank, a Caspian Tern and several Forster’s Terns flew by, as well as a lone Ruddy Turnstone.

A wonderful day for riding…. Sunny, cool, perfect for all that safety clothing I donned.



New Birds:

Caspian Tern

Common Tern

Ruddy Turnstone

Chipping Sparrow

Brown-headed Cowbird

Baltimore Oriole

Black-and-White Warbler

Yellow Warbler

Red-eyed Vireo

Warbling Vireo

House Wren

Veery

Gray Catbird

Great-crested Flycatcher

Mute Swan

Total Species: 68 Total Km: 2751.

No comments: