Saturday, April 28, 2007

Sewage Lagoons



Sewage Lagoons


Sewage lagoons are great places to find birds, especially ducks. They're often the only 'wetland' for miles, and as such, become an oasis for water-loving birds.Today I visited the Brights Grove sewage ponds. I discovered a break in the fence, so I felt obligated to ride my bike through the gap and drive down the laneway to the ponds.


The ponds were covered with ducks: Buffleheads, Scaups, Mallards, Ruddy Ducks, and Blue-winged Teal. Other birds are beginning to arrive back from their southern winter vacations. Soon, the floodgates will open and migration will be fully underway.I'll be heading to Pelee Island for the next few weeks to celebrate the spring migration.


New birds for the list...


Red-shouldered Hawk

Double-crested Cormorant

Killdeer

Turkey Vulture

Blue-winged Teal

Northern Flicker

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Barn Swallow

Ruby-crowned Kinglet


Total species so far: 52

No comments: