Friday, July 6, 2007

Pelee Island

A little longer trip this time… 150 km from Sarnia to Leamington. I left at 5:30 in the morning, right after working a nightshift. It was 12C, pretty darn cold at 100 km/hr, and it being July, I wasn’t quite prepared clothing-wise. I put on every shirt I had under my light Fieldshear coat, 6 layers in all, and was still kind of chilly. There were interesting long shadows of my bike on the golden wheatfields as the sun rose. I must be prepared to take pictures of this sort of thing in the future. I also have to figure out a way to record my brilliant thoughts on paper or tape while driving.

Two hours later, I arrived in Leamington and warmed up with a coffee at Tim Horton’s. I have to admit the drive was a bit of an ordeal. Sore ears from the helmet, sore butt, wind noise, a sore neck from getting my helmet-encrusted head blown around… I still have to acclimatize myself. How do these iron-butt riders drive 1000 miles a day when I can’t even get 150 km in without whining?

I rode onto the ferry ‘Jiimaan’ where I was told I had to fasten the bike down myself as the transportation company takes no responsibility if it falls over. I fastened Rosie down to a couple of steel tiedown rings on the deck, and rode across Lake Erie to Pelee Island. I noticed that many of the tourists on board were either beet-red from sunburn with white around the eyes from sunglasses (like a reverse raccoon) or all pasty white-skinned in the case of a group of Mennonite women who looked like they'd been shunned by the sun.

I spent the next couple of days exploring the island’s vineyards and coastal roads. While having a sunset cruise through the Merlot fields on Ruggle’s Run, I noticed the bike start to wobble. I thought it was the irregular dirt track at first, then discovered my rear tire was flat! Panic! Then I remembered I’d brought along a tire repair kit purchased recently on Ebay. With the tiny pliers provided, I pulled out an old square nail that had punctured the tire. Then I inserted a plug, and blew the tire up with a CO2 cartridge. That got enough pressure to drive the bike to a gas station air pump for a full inflation. I was feeling rather choughed.
.
I headed back to my camp on the south end of the island and the bike started wobbling again. The tire had gone flat! Fortunately, I discovered this in front of Guy Lafferty’s house. Guy is an excavating contractor and motorcycle afficionado with a garage full of tools. For the next two hours, we removed the wheel from the bike, repaired the INNER tube leak (I thought I had a tubeless tire!), then reinstalled the wheel. Guy saved my ass and wouldn’t take a penny for his work. If it weren’t for him, I’d probably still be stranded there as I don’t think anyone else knows much about motorbike tire repair on the island. I got a valuable education. The tire bead was very stubborn and even with 3’ tire irons and vicious hammering with a bead breaker, it took quite a while to break the bead. I don’t know how people manage to do this on the side of the road.

The whole experience reinforced the need for more tools and emergency equipment on a road trip (as well as some basic repair knowledge). I’m looking forward to next week’s journey to the BMW rally in Wisconsin where all the territory will be new!

Right: Old Lighthouse on Pelee Island


New birds seen on Pelee Island...

Black-billed Cuckoo
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
House Finch
Cedar Waxwing
Carolina Wren
Purple Martin
Eastern Kingbird
Eastern Wood Pewee
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Spotted Sandpiper
Ring-necked Pheasant
Great Egret

Species so far: 82
Kilometres:3,415

No comments: